data | Export
Norm's Waypoint lists
For planning purposes only! Select a route or
waypoint and press the Read button.
Do not use these computations for Navigation. The computed
course and distances are close to correct, but I used some
approximations. The waypoints are from many sources and should
be carefully checked before using.
These programs access a web site that contains many Waypoints
that I've entered. Most are my own, but some are from other sources.
All are subject to error. So beware! The waypoints are in a group of
files that can be accessed by selecting an entry in the above window
and pressing the Read button. The each file of waypoints is reference
by another file that I call the index file. See
File layout for an visual layout.
- Back - will return to previous/higher level index file.
- Read - Read and display the selected Route or waypoint file
from the server
- Crt Work - Opens a blank display that can be used to build a
Route. Waypoints can be copied to this display using the "Copy to
work" button. The contents of this display can be copied to the
browser (see Export Work).
Edit buttons on right:
- Edit - Puts selected line into edit panel
- Delete - deletes selected line
- New Route - Allows you to create a new route/waypoint
- MoveUp - Moves selected line up 1
- MoveDown - Moves selected line down 1
- Copy to work - copies the selected line to the Work
Only the Waypoints window and Plot display have menus.
File menu items
- To Browser - Loads waypoint list into Browser window. (Allows
you to save list to your disk or to print it);
- PlotWP - Plots the waypoints on 2D graph which can be
- Import - Copies valid position records that were imported from
the Form at the bottom of this page into the current display.
- Export NMEA format - Copies all waypoint records in NMEA format
to a new window. Useful for bulk copying.
Edit menu items - use these to rearrange waypoints
- Cut - cuts(copy and erase) the selected waypoint to a save
- Copy - copies the selected waypoint to a save area
- Paste - inserts the saved waypoint after the selected
- EndLeg - inserts an "EndLeg" waypoint after the selected
Plot display menu items
Scale menu items - use to zoom-in or zoom-out on the plot
- ZoomIn - Display will zoom in (expand scale) when the cursor(a
cross) is clicked on the display. Turn off by selecting the
menuitem: ZoomIn ON
- ZoomOut - Display will zoom out (reduce scale) when cursor is
clicked on the display. Turn off by selecting the menuitme:
View menu items
- Show labels - Displays labels for all waypoints and routes in
- Show names - Controls displaying of names of waypoints
- Show legs - Controls displaying of route legs between
- Clear labels - Clears all displayed labels in the
Note: The initial display is without labels on the waypoints or
legs. Labels for waypoints will be displayed if you click on the
circle for the waypoint. Labels may be dragged when the cursor
changes to a HAND.
A line with course and direction may be drawn by clicking on a
waypoint and dragging to another waypoint before releasing.
HTML Export Work button (at end of this page)
The Export Work button will copy all the waypoints from the Work
display into a browser window. The Work display is create by pressing
the Crt Work button on bottom row of buttons on the first
Go to top
There are two kinds of files with their own displays. The files
have a hierarchical relationship (see map below). The top most file
is the master index file that contains the names of all the next
level of files. The bottom most files are those that contain the
waypoint data. In between are intermediate index files.
- Index file - refers to other index files or waypoint files. To
move down the map, select an entry in the index display and press
the Read button. To move up, press the BACK button.
If you are creating a new index file, the filename extension must
- Waypoints file - contain a list of waypoints. The display
allows you to select two waypoints and will compute the course
(True) and distance between them. Use the buttons at the bottom of
the display to Set the start and end points for the computation.
The waypoints can be plotted on a graph by selecting the
File|PlotWP menu item. The waypoints file filename extension must
| Master Index|
| Another index | ... | Another index |
| Waypoints | ... | Waypoints | ...
Go to top
Importing a number of routes
If you have a number of routes that were created offline, they can
be pasted into the Input area at the bottom of this page and
Imported. After pressing the "Import data" button go to the display
where you want to import them, click on the File menu and select the
Using the a WayPoints program offline
You can download a waypoints editting
program and to run on your computer. After downloading the zip file,
extract its contents to a folder and read the Readme.txt file.
Go to top
Import your waypoint records to program
Go to top
Last modified: 5 Oct 2006